Saturday, March 27, 2010

PAX East: Day 1- Welcome to Boston


Boston has never really hosted anything this big in forever. PAX East has arrived in all of its geeky splendor. And it is awesome!

After working a half day, I drove to the close to home T station and hopped on the train into the city. In short time, I found myself at the convention center. Where there was quite a line to get in!


It took about 30 minutes to get in... which left 30 minutes to the Keynote with Wil Wheaton. I began my sprint towards the main theater. I got to the door just as they announced that they were full. I was walking away crushed, when I heard a familiar voice behind me. It was a buddy of ours, who was being an enforcer, running an errand. I told him my predicament, and he told me to sit right where I was and wait for him to come back. He was back less than 5 minutes later and took me back down to the main theater where we went through a side door. (I have to admit it was pretty cool feeling entering the VIP area!) He found me a seat and I got to enjoy Wil Wheaton in all his glory.

First off... the guy is hysterical. His comedic timing is so spot on. He used the term "wicked" and spoke about a variety of topics including:

  • How awesome gamers are.

  • How video games are becoming a mainstream form of entertainment.
  • How awesome the convention is.
  • How gaming leads to lifelong friendships.
  • How the geek stereotypes are going the way of the dodo. Everyone in a small way is a geek.
  • How Dragon Age is a emotional video game, where the player gets so invested.
  • He also talked about Star Trek and Stand By Me.

It ended to a standing ovation.

After I searched for my friend to thank him, but couldn't find him. Then I left the Main Theater and I headed to the line to meet Wil Wheaton. While there I spoke with a gamer girl blogger, and we chatted about being a girl gamer in the current gaming environment. She was pretty awesome and I will start following her here soon. After about a half an hour, he came out. He was awesome. Not only did I mention he and Star Trek: The Next Generation were my gateway drug to the awesomeness that is Star Trek, I also got to mention that we are fans of his Dragon articles. I also got an autograph and this:

The photo I instantly sent a SQUEEEEE!!!! Text message to my husband about.
And I found this on the way out!


Speaking of my hubby, he was stuck at work, so I started to check out the con while I waited for him to meet me. I saw the classic arcade games, classic consoles, and a little bit of the expo hall.

I ran into someone from G4 and got to say how much fun I was having! I got a photo.

Then I decided it was time to shop. I went and picked up some fun t-shirts and was such a line, someone started hitting around a beach ball. Then the Hubby arrived and we got dinner... and had to sit on the floor to eat it, but when we were done, we went back to try and get some Expo hall time in.

We saw 3D gaming, and some demo's of new games. We couldn't see much, but finished at the Intel booth where I won a "Life's a Glitch" T-Shirt. It was really cool and compact.


Then we attempted into the Bringing up Geeks panel, but it was full, so we went and stood in line for the Girls in Gaming Panel. There we ran into another friend who sat with us for the session.

After that we checked out the Rockband Party, and sang along because the line was way too long to get up on the stage and sing.

By that point it was late, and we were tired. So we hopped on the T and went home. Tomorrow will be our second and final day at PAX.

Will we get to try the 3D gaming?

Will I get to try Civ 5 and Bioshock 2?

How is Red Dead Revolver?

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment