Saturday, March 20, 2010

A losing battle...

Did you ever wonder what people would be like 10 years down the road when you graduated from high school?

I did.... once.

Now I know.

My 10 year reunion is this year, and it is really bothering me for some reason that people stayed the same.

Specifically the ones who thought it was all about them in High School... now believe it is all about them after college .

I grew up in a small town about an hour from Boston. Many still live there and have families, others live around there. A small handful live in the Boston area. Guess where the reunion is going to be held?

If you guessed Boston, you get a Scooby snack!

Now I have voiced my well thought out opinion on the whole situation. The whole thing started out fine. Have it in our hometown, keep costs down... etc.

But then people came in who were the representatives for the class and went "I think people would rather have it in Boston. It will be cheaper."

Seriously? I want to live in your Boston. A Boston where meals for 2 at a decent pub (where they are claiming we are going to have it) doesn't run you $70-80....Where parking is not sparse or expensive....Where there is always street parking... Where public transportation runs 24/7 and it is not a scary place to drive for people still living in Norton. That sounds like a Boston that I (and many other people) would enjoy.

We are going to be drinking at a pub, a fancyish pub from the sound of it. The bill is going to be huge. And if they chose a pub that serves a lot of seafood and serves appetizers and stuff with seafood, then I am just going to be able to drink. Not to mention the other things I can't eat. I don't ask that I make the decision of where we go, I just ask that they pick one with a wide ranging menu. But the likelihood of that happening, is slim to none.

And here is the best part.... You ready? Everyone has been planning on Thanksgiving weekend... and there is talk of doing it in the summer. Namely June.

June... you know, the month that is about 3 months away? The month that is pretty full on my calendar already.... So now if people are coming from out of state, they will be scrambling for tickets, hotel, etc. People with vacations will miss out, and I don't think anyone that is being listened to really cares.

Sigh.... seriously not trying to be catty or anything, but I am up at 8:19 on a Saturday wondering if a reunion is actually worth going to. I looked at the Facebook group yesterday, and I am glad I did, because this topic had come up and there was no notification. I had a restless sleeping night, and this was part of the cause.

I feel bad, because when the planning started, as a Facebook group, the person planning it took the time to listen to everyone. And now I feel like if it is not about having the reunion in Boston, people are being ignored. She was pushed out and lost her say, which ticks me off to a whole new level.

I have reconnected with some classmates on Facebook and would love to see them, but with the location they are saying they won't attend. A alternative reunion taking place in November in my hometown for all those who couldn't attend the Boston one would be looked at as just a ploy to make this reunion the "negative reunion". The cluster of confusion and "My way or the Highway" is a tad bit frustrating.

I have grown up a ton since high school. I have learned a lot about life and I love where I am in it. I just wish that my peers had grown up some too. Mr.'s reunion made me realize that something fun near our hometown would be good for us. I became excited about mine. But that balloon has since deflated.

People I mention it to are surprised that we were having it in Boston. They thought, as did I, that it was supposed to take place in or around where you graduated from... Apparently not.

But I said my piece there and was (I think) ignored. So now I say it here. People will read it... They don't have to respond, but they will read it. And here... I feel heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment