Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Letter to NBC

Dear NBC,

Before we break up with your network all together, just a couple of things.

It is totally not us, the viewing public, who are the problem here. It is your lack of better judgement and your inability to run a network that is a problem.

I have to ask: Did you really think it was a good idea to put Leno on five nights a week? Seriously? At an hour you would be up against decent dramas... Even I could see that this was going to be a train wreck... Cost effective train wreck, but train wreck none the less.

But your mistake with Leno actually began with the Leno/Letterman fiasco. You promise Letterman the Tonight Show after Johnny Carson retires and then takes the rug out from underneath him by giving it to Leno. What did you think Letterman was going to do? Stay where he was?

Leno is not funny. He was never funny. Honestly, I avoided his show like the plague in college when I was pulling all nighters, because the one time I did have it on and was listening to it, I fell asleep. I would watch Letterman and switch on to Conan, who I thought was leagues funnier then Leno.

So imagine if you will how excited I was to hear Conan was going to take over the Tonight Show in 2009. 2009 came and I heard the bad news. Leno gets a five night a week show that airs before the news, causing the news ratings to go down, making Conan's lead in to be weaker.

Seven months goes by, and Conan's ratings are slowly improving (just as Jay's did when he first started) and Jay's experiment is failing. So you decide to put Conan on at 12:05 am and give Leno the 11:35 p.m. spot. See even I can tell you that this will damage the ratings of the Tonight Show. The Tonight Show is an institution. It was started by men who were good at what they do and it was turned into unwatchable garbage by Leno. Conan brought integrity back to the interview desk. He also brought comedy back to the Tonight Show.

Another point I would like to make. It is not technically the Tonight Show at 12:05. This would make it the Morning Show. Conan was right with everything he said about the show in his letter. He was more class act than you will ever be about the situation.

I will follow Conan where ever he ends up, because he is talented. I will stop watching your network because you fail to see talent and keep it.

Also, can't you tell that a show is becoming unwatchable. Heroes has become predictable and boring, causing people to jump of the Heroes bandwagon in droves. Even my husband, a die hard Heroes fan is done. I think it is time to put it out of its misery.

But you do have some watchable content with The Office and possibly Chuck. But I think I will just catch those on reruns on basic cable that you don't own. I in no way want to give you any ratings. Although I am afraid I just jinxed those shows, because people like them and you may need to cancel them to put Jay Leno on there too.

So in closing, you have made unbelievable group of mistakes. Mistakes that are causing people to jump the sinking ship that is NBC. People like me. Soon advertisers are going to jump ship. Then you will be the husk of what was once a great network.

Good luck to you.

Mrs. Nacho

No comments:

Post a Comment