Monday, February 15, 2010

Love: Nacho way

I like Valentine's Day. Sure, it has become totally commercial, but if you choose to celebrate it that way... that's cool.

We do things a bit differently around here. We choose to do something unique, something we have never done before. Or we stay at home, shut off our cell phones and computers and spend the time together. This usually involves cooking dinner together and the exchange of our gifts.

Last year, we did dinner and dancing and a night away. But this year, with Valentine's day being on a Sunday, we had the rare opportunity to do both. But what to do?

I had heard rumblings of Beauty and the Beast being released in 3D! Mr.'s favorite and a movie I love. But then it was pushed off indefinitely. We were sad. We were really looking forward to it.

Then I saw it on Boston.com. The Brattle Theater, a small non-profit theater in Harvard Square, was hosting showings of one of my favorite classics, Casablanca. I tell Mr. and he is excited about seeing it on the big screen too. We get tickets, and make our plan. Saturday "date night" and Sunday relax at home and make dinner together.

Let me tell you, seeing a movie like Casablanca on the big screen was awesome, but it was really the atmosphere that makes it. They even showed a Loony Tunes short before the movie. I felt like I was back in the 40's or 50's.

We went to dinner and even the comic book store beforehand.

Our gifts are not the traditional either. I gave Mr. two game adventures, a funny shirt, a book of pulp adventures from the 1930's and a book of photos for his desk at work.

He gave me two Batman trade paperbacks, the Inglorious Basterds score and the Dragon's Age Video game book.

While it may not be romantic to anyone but us, each gift is extremely romantic.... to just us two.

I love my husband more and more every day, and no one day of the year is going to change that, but for one day every year. It is just about us, and our inside jokes, and reconnecting and slowing down time just to be together.

Today, well today is a different holiday. Today is Half Priced candy day!

Happy day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment