Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Baby Afterglow...

So the next four days were a flurry of excitement, most of the time good... some times really bad. We were in the NICU for a day and night for trouble breathing and under the lights for almost 2 days for jaundice. We had a flurry of friends, family and nurses visiting and making sure we were comfortable. Brigham and Women's was amazing. I can not imagine having my children anywhere else now.

Finally we were all cleared to go home and spend time as a family.

It was the greatest feeling ever.

This is what I was always destined to be.... a Mommy. One time in my life I focused on a career because I thought that that was what was important. Now, I look at my family and swell with pride. This is what I have always wanted, even if I didn't acknowledge it for a while.

I love getting to know my son. I love that the Thomas the Tank engine show makes him smile. I love that he bitches to the lion on his bouncy seat when he gets all angry. I love the look he has when he is full and content right after eating. I love the little sigh he does when we are cuddling. I love watching his daddy and him interact, because they have this amazing unconditional love that blows my freaking mind.

Breastfeeding has gone better than I expected. The pumping can sometimes be a challenge, and I feel like a cow, but I am getting used to it! Monkey has become a little bit of a milk snob though. I have to alternate for feedings during the day for him (my pumping production is low), and he makes a horrible faces when presented with the formula bottles. I have determined that this is because... as a nacho, Mexican food is better than the horribly smelly formula.

Unfortunately, I can't be a stay at home mom... so I am back to work. The 11 weeks I had at home full time with him were amazing and I will never forget what it felt like to be able to be fully devoted to my child 24/7. (Mind you I was also recovering from the surgery so we spent a ton of time in bed playing peek a boo and checking out Thomas.)

This week he is with family while we wait for daycare to open. I miss him terribly, but just thinking about getting home to my boys makes the day easier.

Also, YAY three day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment