Friday, March 18, 2011

They call this a non stress test??? Really?

Yesterday was a little scary for my taste... after the Monkey didn't do his usual 11:30 PM to 4 AM kickathon and didn't really react to breakfast ,the doctor (I was there for my 28 week appointment), thought it was important enough to do a non stress test. Mr. came with me, as he always does.

What is a non stress test? Well, you get hooked up to a fetal monitor that monitors the heart rate and movement of the little guy (and contractions if necessary). You sit there for 20 minutes listening to the baby's heart beat, and then in 20 minutes the doctor comes in and checks a sheet of paper that measures the rate/activity.

When the doctor came to check, she asked me about the movement, and when I told her that I wasn't feeling much movement (I had only felt one kick) she told me there was not enough movement. The heart beat was perfect, but with not a lot of movement, my son failed his first test. So the doctor explained that we had to see whether or not he is happy, because if he is not happy in the uterus, then he wouldn't grow and thrive and he would be better on the outside. She ordered me to go to an ultrasound to right away and I thought I was ok... then all the nurses were in with the doctor, checking me out.

Then she started the line of questioning... "Have you taken your childbirth class yet?", "Do you have a pediatrician?" and "have you decided on the circumcision yet?"

That was when I started to freak out a little. I hid it well and Mr. didn't realize it until later when I told him how freaked out I was. We aren't ready. We don't have everything done. If we were to go today we have no clue what to do, we had (I took care of that right away yesterday) no pediatrician, we hadn't gone over my labor wishes (not a "plan" cause I know circumstances change), the room isn't done, and bags aren't packed. I am NOT ready. He is NOT ready. I felt overwhelmed and afraid....and hearing Mr. talking about being nervous did not help, but I was glad to know at that moment I was not alone.

We got to the ultrasound and then had to wait for an hour. But when we got to see him, he was fine (a little stuck and frustrated and kicking my spine) and the biggest wave of relief washed over me. I still worry and wonder what is in store for us these last 12 weeks or so, but as John Lennon said in Beautiful Boy "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans." So last night, we talked about a new plan.... what happens if he comes early. And today, I feel a bit better knowing that we can handle anything that gets thrown in our way.

But the boy is sooo grounded for the next three months or so.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had no idea about the stress test results, *so* happy to hear ALL Nachos are safe and sound

    ReplyDelete