Monday, March 7, 2011

Gestational Diabetes & Me...

So it turns out I did have gestational diabetes, which can cause the baby to get too big. I have to watch what I eat, count carbs and make sure I eat 6 times a day.

All in all, I think the only thing that the boy is not pleased about is counting the portions (smaller meals and no Spagetti O's (my signature craving) - obviously the end of the world as he knows it), but it is for his own good, and is not going to change no matter how many times he kicks me in the bladder or the ribs really hard!

This also means I must face my fear of needles head on. I have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day and take insulin at night. Although I must say... I can't really do the insulin every night by myself. Frank helps me on the nights he is not playing.

Of course this also means that they will be monitoring the little guy to make sure he is not getting too big/getting stressed out in there. When they determine he is close to being too big, I get to have the amneo test and they will check his lungs to make sure they are fully developed. Then they will talk induction... and while I want to meet him sooner rather than later... he needs to bake a bit more.

So that's whats new with me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment