Monday, February 4, 2013

In Which I Play Catch Up Yet Again....

Time moves so fast. It is February... and I have yet to write a post in 2013.

Why you may ask yourself?

Because working, running after a rambunctious toddler, keeping up with house stuff, time with my husband and taking 5 minutes to read a book I have little to no time for me. On average, per week, I spend 14 hours of it driving to and from work or work/daycare. Think about that for a second. I spend half a day in the car every week driving. It makes me tired just thinking of it.

And it is flu season.

And I am recovering from the best Christmas ever. Seriously. The sense of wonder in my son's eyes as he learned about Santa and his elves, singing Jingle Bells at the top of his lungs and searching for lights during car rides was such an amazing experience. It was like rediscovering the holiday all over again! We even got to take him to the POPS Christmas Concert. (A dream of mine) We drank egg nog and ate cookies and danced along with the sing along. Life is good.

Seeing everything with my 19 month old is like seeing the world for the first time. He is fascinated with being forward facing, watching me cook, looking at things baking in the oven, reading, and playing pretend. He is addicted to cars, animals and singing songs with motions. He tells me my voice is pretty and prefers it when "momma sing" and I am happy to oblige him.

It is quite obvious to me that my baby is growing up. The process is happening faster now. He listens (sometimes), follows directions (again sometimes), tells me what he wants in full sentences and uses please and thank you. He is showing how amazingly compassionate he is, how caring he is, how loving he is and how smart he is every day. I am blown away at how much he is like me (my parents have backed up that fact) and how much he is like his uncle.

I have made some resolutions for this year. Here they are.

1)  Put down the technology until after bedtime. Seriously. I notice how much I reach for my phone/tablet to check e-mail, make lists, check social media. I only get so long with the little guy.  (I am already so bad at this. But trying so hard.)

2) Feel good about myself. Seriously, I try to lose weight and it doesn't work. This year I am on a medicine that makes me really hungry which makes loss harder. So this year I will work harder to understand why people think that I am beautiful and treat myself in the same manner. It is time to shake the self esteem issues that have plagued me for what seems like forever. This one is for me and for my son and any future children I may have.

3) Enjoy every milestone with the little guy. Time moves so fast. I want to treasure the little moments.

4) Try to recreate heritage recipes. I want to teach my kids to cook the same things that I watched my mother and my grandmother make. Part two of this is to document them and print them out as cookbooks for my kids for when they are older. This way there are no recipes that are lost between the cracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment