Monday, July 26, 2010

My Love of Cookbooks!

So my friend over at Dry Spell got me thinking about cookbooks this morning. She was talking about getting a cookbook from her husband as a gift. It got my mind wandering to my favorite cookbooks in my collection.

We had maybe 2 cookbooks when Mr. and I moved in together. Then we expanded when he bought me the Star Wars cookbooks and Paula Deen's Celebrations.

Then we got married. And then the cookbooks just started coming. From the Joy of Cooking to Betty Crocker.... from Cupcakes to Indian to Irish to Italian...we have it all!

You would think having a ton of cookbooks would stop me from wanting more. Not so. If we went somewhere, like Italy for example, we would bring home a cookbook or two from the region. When we went to DC, I picked up the White House Cookbook and Presidential Cookies. I love seeing recipes for what people in other cultures or in other parts of the country eat. It intrigues me, but also introduces me to ways of cooking that may get more veggies into my loving husband.

I am working on a regional/international cookbook collection now. If any readers have suggestions, please leave them in the comments! I would really appreciate it

4 comments:

  1. I love cookbooks too! One that I use over and over again, and that has recently been republished, is the Silver Palate Cookbook by Lukins and Rosso. They had another one (and I'm not sure if it has been re-released) called the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook. If I could only keep three cookbooks for the rest of my life, these two and Joy would be the ones. They will never steer you wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy is incredible... My co-worker hooked me up with the one that shows how to skin a squirel!

    I will have to check out the other ones, we have a ton of local antique/ out of print book stores here, so even if the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook was out of print, I may be able to still find a copy around here.

    Thanks for the suggestion Lisa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could spend hours reading my cookbooks and cooking magazines. The Betty Crocker cookbook was the first one I ever bought, and it's what I used to learn all of the basics.

    I love the idea of collecting an international set of cookbooks. I've got a lot of Southern cookbooks--you know the kind put out by Ladies Auxiliaries everywhere. Those truly have great homecooking, stick-to-your-thighs recipes. Mmmmm butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought cookbooks translated from italian when we were on our honeymoon. It is awesome to see the difference in recipes from the different regions. I still have to make the Torta di Capri. It is a incredible chocolate cake with hazelnuts that we had on our honeymoon. I am thinking that I will finally get around to it in October. :)

    ReplyDelete